When you smile, your teeth are on full display. Not only are they responsible for biting and chewing, but your teeth also play a very important role in the quality of your smile. Any flaws in your smile can have a serious impact, leaving you feeling incredibly self-conscious. At The Dentists at North Cypress, we can correct the appearance of teeth affected by minor flaws with veneers.
Veneers are thin, shell-like restorations that are made to be bonded to the front surfaces of imperfect teeth. Once bonded in place, the veneers cover over the flaws, transforming the appearance of your teeth and your smile. With veneers, we can help to eliminate some different flaws, including:
• Minor chips and cracks in your tooth enamel.
• Small gaps between your teeth.
• Slight overlapping of your teeth that does not affect your bite or your oral health.
• Teeth that are disproportionately small or oddly shaped.
• Discoloration that cannot be treated with whitening.
Veneers are typically made from either composite resin or porcelain. Both of these materials are tooth-colored, which helps to provide you with a completely natural improvement to your smile. Porcelain is often the preferred material. Not only is it tooth colored, but it also reflects light like natural tooth enamel. It is stronger than composite resin, and are rated to last 15 years or more. Porcelain is also stain-resistant.
Veneers provide many benefits, including:
• Biocompatibility. Both composite resins is biocompatible, meaning they will not irritate your gums.
• A completely natural appearance. No one will be able to tell the difference between your veneers and your real teeth.
• Less invasive, and less expensive, than crowns. With veneers, we do not need to remove as much of your natural tooth structure to place your restorations.
• Veneers completely transform the appearance of your teeth and enhance the beauty of your smile. With your smile improved, your confidence will soar. You may even find that you are smiling more often.
Placing veneers typically require two separate appointments. At your first appointment, we start by administering a local anesthetic. Next, we remove a thin layer of the enamel from the front surfaces of the affected teeth. This is necessary for ensuring that your veneers fit naturally in your mouth and do not look or feel bulky. After removing the necessary enamel, we then take an impression of your mouth. This impression is sent to our dental lab, where it is used to design and fabricate your custom veneers. In most cases, there is no need for a temporary restoration.
Once your veneers have been completed and sent back, you have your second appointment. At this appointment, we check your veneers to make sure that they fit properly, your bite is natural, and that they blend in with the color of the rest of your teeth. They are then bonded into place on your teeth, and your smile is immediately transformed.
Veneers are an effective treatment for improving the appearance of teeth affected by minor flaws, which can help to improve the quality of your smile and boost your confidence. Call The Dentists at North Cypress today to schedule your appointment and find out if veneers are the right solution for you.